a; an = un, o => in functie de sunetul cu care incepe cuvantul precedat de articol
a => consoane si semivocalele [w] si [j]
an => vocale
· a bank manager [mænɪdʒə]; a great opportunity; a meeting, a jungle; a house; a BMW
· an idea; an interesting book; an hour; an orange dress; an umbrella; an LP
· !! a window, a whisper; a uniform, a university, a universe of my own; a year; a European
Cand se foloseste
· In fata unui substantiv care denumeste profesia, meseria sau nationalitatea ( dupa “to be” sau “to become”)
He wants to become a politician.
My neighbour is an Englishman.
Her husband is a catholic.
Dan is a plumber.
· Cu anumite expresii de masuri (cantitate, distanta, timp)
I think I’ll finish in half an hour.
He was driving at 70 miles an hour.
He’s an Englishman. He drinks tea once a day, at about five o’clock.
This would help a great deal/ a lot.
· Expresii cu “what a…”
What a pretty girl!
What a foggy morning!
What an interesting idea!
What a pity!
Testeaza ce ai retinut:
_____ universal law
______ utopian idea
______ extreme sport
______ honourable man